Abdominal x-ray artifacts (summary)
Abdominal x-ray review is a key competency for medical students, junior doctors and other allied health professionals. Using ABDO X is a helpful and systematic method for abdominal x-ray review, where X refers to the assessment of external objects and artifacts.
This is a summary article; we do not have a more in-depth reference article.
- numerous different types of foreign bodies and artifacts, both medical and non-medical, can be seen on an abdominal radiograph
- identify any artifacts or foreign bodies on the radiograph
- correlate the finding with the clinical history provided, or seek further clarification from the referrer to help identify the object
- try to localize the object to the abdominal wall or within the abdominal cavity
- many objects are placed iatrogenically, some are the result of misadventure