Arachnoiditis ossificans is considered a sequela of chronic arachnoiditis where there is a development of calcification-ossification of the arachnoid membrane usually of the thoracic and lumbar spines. It is an extremely rare cause of spinal canal stenosis and consequent neurological compromise.
Its exact etiology is uncertain although thought to be likely due osseous metaplasia associated with chronic inflammation. It is often associated with prior surgery or dural violation.
It may be seen as areas of linear or mass-like intrathecal lesions 4.
Can be seen as calcification-ossification within the spinal canal.
- T1: intrathecal ossification is hyperintense
- T2: intrathecal ossification is hypointense
Treatment and prognosis
If progressive neurologic deficits occur, decompression via laminectomy may prove successful 2.
- 1. Bagley JH, Owens TR, Grunch BH, Moreno JR, Bagley CA. Arachnoiditis ossificans of the thoracic spine. Journal of clinical neuroscience : official journal of the Neurosurgical Society of Australasia. 21 (3): 386-9. doi:10.1016/j.jocn.2013.07.020 - Pubmed
- 2. Maulucci CM, Ghobrial GM, Oppenlander ME, Flanders AE, Vaccaro AR, Harrop JS. Arachnoiditis ossificans: clinical series and review of the literature. Clinical neurology and neurosurgery. 124: 16-20. doi:10.1016/j.clineuro.2014.06.024 - Pubmed
- 3. Steel CJ, Abrames EL, O'Brien WT. Arachnoiditis Ossificans - A Rare Cause of Progressive Myelopathy. The open neuroimaging journal. 9: 13-20. doi:10.2174/1874440001509010013 - Pubmed
- 4. Frizzell B, Kaplan P, Dussault R, Sevick R. Arachnoiditis ossificans: MR imaging features in five patients. AJR. American journal of roentgenology. 177 (2): 461-4. doi:10.2214/ajr.177.2.1770461 - Pubmed
- 5. Liu LD, Zhao S, Liu WG, Zhang SK. Arachnoiditis ossificans after spinal surgery. Orthopedics. 38 (5): e437-42. doi:10.3928/01477447-20150504-91 - Pubmed
- 6. Bagley JH, Owens TR, Grunch BH, Moreno JR, Bagley CA. Arachnoiditis ossificans of the thoracic spine. Journal of clinical neuroscience : official journal of the Neurosurgical Society of Australasia. 21 (3): 386-9. doi:10.1016/j.jocn.2013.07.020 - Pubmed
- 7. Singh H, Meyer SA, Jannapureddy MR, Weiss N. Arachnoiditis ossificans. World neurosurgery. 76 (5): 478.e12-4. doi:10.1016/j.wneu.2010.12.001 - Pubmed