ATA guidelines for assessment of thyroid nodules
The American Thyroid Association (ATA) guidelines for assessment of thyroid nodules are meant to improve inter- and intra-reader consistency during assessment of thyroid nodules on ultrasound, and to facilitate communication with referring endocrinologists.
- serum thyrotropin (TSH) should be obtained
- if TSH below normal limits thryoid scintigraphy should be pursued
- an incidental finding of focal FDG uptake in a >1 cm thyroid nodule is concerning and FNA is warranted
- if <1 cm the nodule may be monitored similarly to to a thyroid nodule with a high risk sonographic pattern
- if the thyroid demonstrates diffuse uptake compatible with chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, further imaging or FNA is not warranted