Revision 4 for 'ATA guidelines for assessment of thyroid nodules'All Revisions
ATA guidelines for assessment of thyroid nodules
The American Thyroid Association (ATA) guidelines for assessment of thyroid nodules are meant to improve inter- and intra-reader consistency during assessment of thyroid nodules on ultrasound, and to facilitate communication with referring endocrinologists.
- serum thyrotropin (TSH) should be obtained
- if TSH below normal limits thryoid scintigraphy should be pursued
- an incidental finding of focal FDG uptake in a >1 cm thyroid nodule is concerning and FNA is warranted
- if <1 cm the nodule may be monitored similarly to to a thyroid nodule with a high risk sonographic pattern
- if the thyroid demonstrates diffuse uptake compatible with chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, further imaging or FNA is not warranted