Cementoblastoma is one of many mandibular lesions is a rare tumor of the cementum, with only approximately 100 cases reported. Key to diagnosis both radiologically and histologically is attachment to the tooth root.
Cementoblastomas have been previously described in the literature as cementomas, true cementomas, sclerosing cementomas, periapical fibro-osteoma, and periapical fibrous dysplasia 3,4 although "cementoma" is only mentioned as "periapical cementoma", a type of osseous dysplasia in the 2005 WHO histological classification of odontogenic tumors 5.
Median age is 20 years (range 8-44 years) with no sex predilection 5,6.
The usual location is around the apex of the premolars. These tumors originating from (i.e. in connection with) the tooth root and is usually slowly enlarging. It therefore obliterates the periodontal ligament space.
It is typically radiodense or mixed-density with a rounded or sunburst appearance, and a relatively radiolucent rim. Loss of the periodontal ligament space along with root resorption / loss of root outline are common 5.
Treatment and prognosis
Recurrence is common with incomplete resection 5,6.
- 1. Dunfee BL, Sakai O, Pistey R et-al. Radiologic and Pathologic Characteristics of Benign and Malignant Lesions of the Mandible1. Radiographics. 2006;26 (6): 1751-1768. Radiographics (full text) - doi:10.1148/rg.266055189 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Pasler FA. Radiology. Thieme. ISBN:0865774609. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 3. Zegarelli E, Kutscher A, Napoli N et-al. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology. 1964;17 (2): . doi:10.1016/0030-4220(64)90145-8
- 4. Anneroth G, Isacssom G, Sigurdsson A. Benign cementoblastoma (true cementoma). Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. 1975;40 (1): 141-6. Pubmed citation
- 5. Pathology And Genetics of Tumours of the Head And Neck. World Health Organization. ISBN:9283224175. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 6. Huber AR, Folk GS. Cementoblastoma. Head Neck Pathol. 2009;3 (2): 133-5. doi:10.1007/s12105-008-0099-5 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation