Cystic lung disease is an umbrella term used to group the conditions coursing with multiple lung cysts.
A lung cyst is a gas-filled structure with perceptible wall typically 1 mm in thickness but can be up to 4 mm. The diameter of a lung cyst is usually <1 cm. By conventional definition in the literature, a lung cyst can be distinguished from a cavity for which the wall thickness is greater than 4 mm. However, in practice, clear separation of the two entities can sometimes be difficult.
The differential diagnosis of cystic lung disease, therefore, overlaps with lung disease with multiple cavities 1.
Primary pulmonary disease where diffuse cysts are the predominant feature:
- pulmonary Langerhans cell histiocytosis: can be irregular in outline
- lymphocytic interstitial pneumonitis (LIP)
- lymphangioleiomyomatosis 3 with or without tuberous sclerosis
- tracheobronchial papillomatosis
- Sjogren syndrome
- neurofibromatosis 1
- Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome (rare) 4
- pulmonary mesenchymal cystic hamartoma (rare) 2
- pulmonary manifestation of light chain deposition disease 8
Acquired cystic lung disease or cysts as a secondary feature of a primary disease:
- 1. Webb WR, Higgins CB. Thoracic Imaging, Pulmonary And Cardiovascular Radiology. Philadelphia : Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2005. (2005) ISBN:078174119X. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 2. Meza MP, Newman B, Dickman PS et-al. Pediatric case of the day. Pulmonary mesenchymal cystic hamartoma. Radiographics. 1992;12 (4): 843-4. Radiographics (citation) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Avila NA, Dwyer AJ, Rabel A et-al. Sporadic lymphangioleiomyomatosis and tuberous sclerosis complex with lymphangioleiomyomatosis: comparison of CT features. Radiology. 2007;242 (1): 277-85. doi:10.1148/radiol.2421051767 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 4. Agarwal PP, Gross BH, Holloway BJ et-al. Thoracic CT findings in Birt-Hogg-Dube syndrome. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2011;196 (2): 349-52. doi:10.2214/AJR.10.4757 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Cantin L, Bankier AA, Eisenberg RL. Multiple cystlike lung lesions in the adult. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010;194 (1): W1-W11. doi:10.2214/AJR.09.3540 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Naidich DP. High-resolution computed tomography of cystic lung disease. Semin Roentgenol. 1991;26 (2): 151-74. Pubmed citation
- 7. Hartman TE. CT of cystic diseases of the lung. Radiol. Clin. North Am. 2001;39 (6): 1231-44. Pubmed citation
- 8. Seaman DM, Meyer CA, Gilman MD et-al. Diffuse cystic lung disease at high-resolution CT. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2011;196 (6): 1305-11. doi:10.2214/AJR.10.4420 - Pubmed citation
- 9. Flavia Angélica Ferreira Francisco, Arthur Soares Souza, Gláucia Zanetti, Edson Marchiori. Multiple cystic lung disease. (2015) European Respiratory Review. 24 (138): 552. doi:10.1183/16000617.0046-2015 - Pubmed