Meigs syndrome is defined as the presence of ascites and pleural effusion in association with a benign, usually solid ovarian tumor. In the vast majority (80-90%) of cases, the primary tumor is an ovarian fibroma. Other primary tumors include:
The pathophysiology of ascites in Meigs syndrome is speculative. It was initially suggested that irritation of the peritoneal surfaces by a hard, solid ovarian tumor could stimulate peritoneal fluid production. The pathophysiology of the pleural effusion is also speculative with some suggesting ascitic fluid being transferred via trans-diaphragmatic lymphatic channels into the pleural space.
The pleural fluid tends to be right sided in a majority (~60-70%) of cases.
Treatment and prognosis
The condition is benign and the ascites and pleural effusion resolve after resection of the primary pelvic tumor.
History and etymology
Named after Joe Vincent Meigs (1892-1963), an American (US) obstetrician and gynecologist 4.
General considerations include:
- 1. Vijayaraghavan GR, Levine D. Case 109: Meigs syndrome. Radiology. 2007;242 (3): 940-4. doi:10.1148/radiol.2423040775 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Chourmouzi D, Papadopoulou E, Drevelegas A. Magnetic resonance imaging findings in pseudo-Meigs' syndrome associated with a large uterine leiomyoma: a case report. J Med Case Reports. 2010;4 : 120. doi:10.1186/1752-1947-4-120 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 3. Nemeth AJ, Patel SK. Meigs syndrome revisited. J Thorac Imaging. 2003;18 (2): 100-3. J Thorac Imaging (link) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Meigs JV. Fibroma of the ovary with ascites and hydrothorax; Meigs' syndrome. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1954;67 (5): 962-85. - Pubmed citation
- 5. Bierman SM, Reuter KL, Hunter RE. Meigs syndrome and ovarian fibroma: CT findings. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 14 (5): 833-4. - Pubmed citation
- 6. Samanth KK, Black WC. Benign ovarian stromal tumors associated with free peritoneal fluid. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 1970;107 (4): 538-45. - Pubmed citation
- 7. La fianza A, Alberici E. CT diagnosis of Pseudo-Meigs' syndrome. Clin Radiol. 2002;57 (4): 315-7. doi:10.1053/crad.2001.0845 - Pubmed citation