Mesonephric carcinoma of the cervix is an extremely rare histological sub type of cervical cancer. It falls under the sub group of adenocarcinoma of the cervix. This is a slightly confusing entitiy since some authors have used this term as synonymous with clear cell carcinoma of the cervix 6.
They are thought to represent approximately 3% of cervical adenocarcinomas 5. Only a handful of publications are found on this entity with no radiology publications on this entity at the time of writing (2012).
They are considered to arise from remnants of the mesonephric (Wolffian) ducts, specifically the Gartner’s duct. These duct remnants are usually located in the muscular wall of the cervix, meaning that mesonephric adenocarcinoma is more likely to localizes to within the cervix wall than other types of adenocarcinoma 5.
They usually have relatively low grade morphology, in part recapitualing the duct structures they are thought to arise from; they are composed of small, compact ducts/gland structures, lined by variably (but usually mildly) atypical, cuboidal to columnar epithelium, with ducts containing dense eosinophilic secretions.
Mesonephric adenocarcinoma is usually EMA+, calretinin+, vimentin+, CD10+, and ER/PR hormone receptor -ve7
This is one of the few sub types that are not associated with prior HPV infection 4.
- 1. Silver SA, Devouassoux-shisheboran M, Mezzetti TP et-al. Mesonephric adenocarcinomas of the uterine cervix: a study of 11 cases with immunohistochemical findings. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2001;25 (3): 379-87. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Clement PB, Young RH, Keh P et-al. Malignant mesonephric neoplasms of the uterine cervix. A report of eight cases, including four with a malignant spindle cell component. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 1995;19 (10): 1158-71. - Pubmed citation
- 3. Yap OW, Hendrickson MR, Teng NN et-al. Mesonephric adenocarcinoma of the cervix: a case report and review of the literature. Gynecol. Oncol. 2006;103 (3): 1155-8. doi:10.1016/j.ygyno.2006.08.031 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Eifel PJ, Levenback C. Cancer of the female lower genital tract. Pmph Bc Decker. (2001) ISBN:1550091077. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 5. Dallenbach-Hellweg G, Doeberitz MV, Trunk MJ. Color Atlas of Histopathology of the Cervix Uteri. Springer Verlag. (2010) ISBN:3642064337. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 6. Halperin EC, Pérez CA, Brady LW. Perez and Brady's principles and practice of radiation oncology. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2008) ISBN:078176369X. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 7. Kenny SL, Mcbride HA, Jamison J et-al. Mesonephric Adenocarcinomas of the Uterine Cervix and Corpus: HPV-negative Neoplasms That Are Commonly PAX8, CA125, and HMGA2 Positive and That May Be Immunoreactive With TTF1 and Hepatocyte Nuclear Factor 1-β. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 2012;36 (6): 799-807. doi:10.1097/PAS.0b013e31824a72c6 - Pubmed citation