Sclerosing osteomyelitis of Garré
Sclerosing osteomyelitis of Garré is a specific type of chronic osteomyelitis. It mainly affects children and young adults. It typically affects the mandible and is commonly associated with an odontogenic infection resulting from dental caries.
A localized overgrowth of bone on the outer surface of the cortex. This mass of bone, which is supracortical but subperiosteal, is smooth, fairly calcified, and is often described as a duplication of the cortical layer of the mandible.
The redundant cortical layering of the bone (onion skinning) is often considered a pathognomonic feature 8.
History and etymology
It was first described by Carl Garre in 1893 6.
- 1. Mcwalter GM, Schaberg SJ. Garre's osteomyelitis of the mandible resolved by endodontic treatment. J Am Dent Assoc. 1984;108 (2): 193-5. J Am Dent Assoc (link) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Mcwalter GM, Schaberg SJ. Garre's osteomyelitis of the mandible resolved by endodontic treatment. J Am Dent Assoc. 1984;108 (2): 193-5. J Am Dent Assoc (link) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Gonçalves M, Pinto oliveira D, Oliveira oya E et-al. Garre's osteomyelitis associated with a fistula: a case report. J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2002;26 (3): 311-3. - Pubmed citation
- 4. Ebihara A, Yoshioka T, Suda H. Garrè's osteomyelitis managed by root canal treatment of a mandibular second molar: incorporation of computed tomography with 3D reconstruction in the diagnosis and monitoring of the disease. Int Endod J. 2005;38 (4): 255-61. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2591.2004.00920.x - Pubmed citation
- 5. Acevedo J, Wallin J, Vezina G et-al. Radiology quiz case 1. Diagnosis: sclerosing osteomyelitis of Garré, or sclerosing nonsuppurative osteomyelitis. Arch. Otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg. 2007;133 (10): 1058, 1060. doi:10.1001/archotol.133.10.1058 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Garré C. Ueber besondre Formen und Folgezustande d. akuten infekt. Osteomyelitis Beitr z klin Chir. 1893;10:257
- 7. Collert S, Isacson J. Chronic sclerosing osteomyelitis (Garré). Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 1982;(164): 136-40. - Pubmed citation
- 8. Suma R, Vinay C, Shashikanth MC et-al. Garre's sclerosing osteomyelitis. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2007;25 Suppl : S30-3. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent (link) - Pubmed citation