Wilson disease, also known as hepatolenticular degeneration, is a multisystem disease, which rarely has musculoskeletal manifestations secondary to the accumulation of copper in the articular cartilage.
Reported manifestations include 1-3
- premature osteoarthritis, in particular the hips and knees
- secondary osteomalacia from renal tubular dysfunction
- 1. Golding DN, Walshe JM. Proceedings: The musculoskeletal features of Wilson's disease: a clinical, radiological, and serological survey. Ann. Rheum. Dis. 1975;34 (2): 201. Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 2. Weissman BNW. Imaging of arthritis and metabolic bone disease. Mosby. ISBN:0323041779. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 3. May DA, FACR DGDMD. Musculoskeletal Imaging: The Requisites, 4e (Requisites in Radiology). Saunders. ISBN:0323081770. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon