Perimesencephalic subarachnoid hemorrhage

Case contributed by Dr Laughlin Dawes

Perimesencephalic subarachnoid hemorrhage. 

Case Discussion

Perimesencephalic hemorrhage is a distinct type of subarachnoid hemorrhage confined to the basal cisterns around the midbrain (typically the interpeduncular and prepontine cisterns). 95% of cases have a normal cerebral angiogram and the source of bleeding is not identified; the cause is thought to be a venous bleed. In these cases rebleeding and ischemia are rare and the prognosis is excellent. The other 5% of cases are due to a vertebrobasilar aneurysm and the prognosis is worse.

Credit: Dr Donna D'Souza. 

PlayAdd to Share

Case information

rID: 36057
Published: 13th May 2015
Last edited: 13th Aug 2019
Inclusion in quiz mode: Included

Updating… Please wait.

 Unable to process the form. Check for errors and try again.

 Thank you for updating your details.