Young female patient presenting with pelvic colic
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
These MRI images reveal the characteristic appearance of the polycystic ovaries:
- Both ovaries are enlarged in size.
- Both ovaries contain an abnormally large number of follicles (>10-12 each).
- All follicles show more-or-less similar size with no dominant follicles detected (size <10 mm).
- The follicles display abnormal distribution being arranged peripherally (showing the characteristic "string of pearls" appearance).
When diagnosing polycystic ovaries, one can apply the ten rule:
- Volume of each ovary (>10 cm3).
- Each ovary contains (>10 follicles).
- Each follicle diameter (<10 mm).