Solid pseudopapillary tumor of the pancreas
18 year-old girl presenting with an abdominal mass
Loading Stack -
0 images remaining
Large mass in the tail of pancreas, with both solid and cystic components. No internal calcification. Enhancing rim/capsule. No pancreatic duct dilatation.
Mass effect on the splenic vein with resultant large varices anterior to the mass.
3 case question available
There are a multitude of cystic lesions of the pancreas. Many have been given more than one name/term over the years resulting in confusion. One such tumor is the solid pseudopapillary tumor of the pancreas - in 1996 the WHO asigned this name for clarification in the histological classifications. Originally described by Franz in 1959, its origin name was a Franz-Gruber tumor.
It has a number of imaging characteristics, as well as demographic aspects common to this rare pancreatic tumor.
Solid pseudopapillary tumor of the pancreas is typically large at presentation ( 10cm on average ), has a proponderance for the tail of pancreas and contains both solid and cystic components. It has a enhancing capsule, may contain hemorrhagic components and in less than 10% contains calcification.
- Choi JY, Kim MJ, Kim JH et-al. Solid pseudopapillary tumor of the pancreas: typical and atypical manifestations. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2006;187 (2): W178-86. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - doi:10.2214/AJR.05.0569 - Pubmed citation
- Yao X, Ji Y, Zeng M et-al. Solid pseudopapillary tumor of the pancreas: cross-sectional imaging and pathologic correlation. Pancreas. 2010;39 (4): 486-91. doi:10.1097/MPA.0b013e3181bd6839 - Pubmed citation
- Frantz VK. Tumors of the pancreas. Atlas of tumor pathology: fasc 27–28, ser 7. Washington, DC: Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, 1959; 32-33
- Kawamoto S, Scudiere J, Hruban RH et-al. Solid-pseudopapillary neoplasm of the pancreas: spectrum of findings on multidetector CT. Clin Imaging. 2011;35 (1): 21-8. doi:10.1016/j.clinimag.2009.11.007 - Pubmed citation
2 article feature images from this case
33 public playlist includes this case
- Abdo - Adult Clinical Conditions - Pancreas
- Cystic pancreatic lesions
- Radio exam
- pancreatic tumors
- MSK GI 07 08 2019
- YJL 2B GI
- Abdo - pancreas
- Primer - Gastrointestinal - Pancreas
- Exam cases (part 6)
- Tony Chen September
- RBWH Hot Seat - Pancreatic Lesions
- Registrar random viva 6
- ABD Pancreas
- A.emira 2B (2)
- Core review
- 3_128 Other Pancreatic Neoplasms
- Nice to know
- Pancreatic mass
- examen primero
- ABM Quiz