The retrobullar recess is a small potential opening (cleft) rather than an actual air cell located superior and posterior to the ethmoid bulla, separating it from the skull base and basal lamella.
It is bordered:
- anteriorly by the posterior wall of the ethmoid bulla
- posteriorly by the basal lamella
- superiorly by the skull base
- laterally by the lamina papyracea
The ethmoid bulla usually opens posteriorly in the retrobullar recess.
- 1. Paul W. Flint, Bruce H. Haughey, K. Thomas Robbins, J. Regan Thomas, John K. Niparko, Valerie J. Lund, Marci M. Lesperance. Cummings Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery E-Book. (2014) ISBN: 9780323278201
- 2. Nicholas Jones. Practical Rhinology. (2010) p.7 ISBN: 9781444128727